Sunday, March 10, 2013

Some tweaks and updates to Thumbnail

Awhile back I ran across a handy little program called Thumbnail that could be used to create embedded thumbnails (and other info, like image dimensions) in the resources of image files so that, for instance, the image icons would actually show little previews of the image itself, and you could sort the images by dimensions, etc.

Unfortunately the way it handled the image dimension attributes was a bit different than what is used by Tracker in Haiku today. So Haiku user bbjimmy did some manual tweaks to the app's resources (hex editing the binaries using DiskProbe) and brought it a little more up to date to be functional with Haiku today.

Inspired by this, I decided to also create a new HVIF icon for it: Thumbnail.hvif.zip

I also think it would be great to be able to get our hands on the original source code, but thus far I haven't had any luck tracking down the author, Thorsten Seitz, who wrote the app around 15 years ago. :(

So in the meantime, you can download the file(s) here:

Here is the original package that was made for BeOS R4. This doesn't work quite right with Haiku.

Here is the updated version for Haiku which includes the English and German versions, updated documentation, and the HVIF icon for it.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

I had a few other thoughts while putting this new package together, but I'll save them for another post. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment