Saturday, August 18, 2012

Updated Gource visualization of the Haiku Git repository

I had done a version of this around 5 months ago, but had a few glitches in it due to features that weren't working at the time (since fixed), and some bugs in the physics parts of Gource that I since learned how to work around... so recently in response to a request for an updated version in relation to an upcoming Haiku on-line conference, "Haiku Down Under 2012 - Beta Blockers", I decided to tackle it again and make a slightly improved version.

Just to be clear, the conference starts tomorrow morning Australian time, but actually tonight at 7PM EST time (Sunday 19st August, 2012 - 9AM (GMT +10))! So be sure not to miss it! See the conference website for more information. Also try this time zone converter: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/gmt-converter/ I found it easier to use than the one linked on the conference website.

For convenience I'll include the full description here;

Visualization of activity on the Haiku OS git repository done with Gource.

https://www.haiku-os.org/ http://code.google.com/p/gource/ https://www.haiku-os.org/guides/building/get-source-git

I used a combination of the Gravatar script ( http://code.google.com/p/gource/wiki/GravatarExample ) and some custom done icons for some of the users, replaced the default user icon with a modified "People" icon from Haiku, dropped in the Haiku logo, and did a number of other tweaks.

Command line:

gource --hide filenames -c 2 --load-config gource.cfg --max-user-speed 100 -r 25 -o gource.ppm

Encoding line:

ffmpeg -y -i audio.mp3 -vcodec ppm -r 72 -f image2pipe -i gource.ppm -vcodec mpeg4 -r 29.97 -preset veryslow -q:v 1 -threads 8 -b:v 10000k -bf 0 -comp_duration 204 -ac 2 -acodec copy gource.mp4

Config file:

[display]
viewport=1280x720

[gource]
auto-skip-seconds=0.01
camera-mode=overview
default-user-image=person.png
font-colour=ff7600
hide=progress
highlight-colour=ffe980
dir-colour=d5eaff
#highlight-dirs=true
highlight-users=true
key=true
logo=HAIKU logo - white on transparent - small.png
seconds-per-day=0.01
stop-at-end=true
time-scale=1.2
user-image-dir=.git/avatar/
user-scale=8

This is about as good as I could get the video without the size being too excessive.

I also kept having trouble with YouTube making all my video uploads into grey pixelated useless garbage. :( So I'm trying this one as MPEG4 to see if it makes a difference.

I might do a nice 1080p copy of this after my new monitor arrives, if I can get this YouTube video scrambling problem figured out, and if I can free up enough disk space.

I decided to add music to this version on the suggestion of someone in #haiku... and I think it adds a fun little twist to it. The selection I used was "Flight of the Bumblebee", which seemed perfectly fitting to the frenetic pace of the development shown in the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment