Saturday, February 7, 2015

A new icon for BeMines

I've been working on a fork of BeMines on HaikuArchives to merge in the Haiku theme I did for it so I can then do a pull request and have it merged back in, and decided to also do an icon for it. I'd considered using the mine icon I'd made for Minesweeper, but didn't want to contribute even more to the existing confusion between BeMines and Minesweeper, so I made a custom version of the icon for BeMines.

Hopefully the bright red color with the Be "eyear" logo on it will make it easily recognizable as a different app from Minesweeper.

I had to do some reading about resources and .rdef files, but I think I have the icon added to the rdef file that I created from the existing .rsrc file (the old Be binary format) by using rc -d BeMines.rsrc which output BeMines.rdef. Unfortunately I then ran into a compilation error when trying to compile BeMines to test my changes. Hopefully that gets fixed soon and I can move forward with adding my theme and icon.

UPDATE: the compilation bug had already been fixed in Haikuports by Pulkomandy, but hadn't been pushed upstream to HaikuArchives, despite pulling from that source for its recipe and applying the patch there before compiling. So diver upstreamed Pulkomandy's patch and I then forked the HaikuArchives/BeMines git repo, applied my changes (added my theme, icon, etc), and put in a pull request. It was a learning experience but not much of a fun one by the end... git and I aren't friends. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment