Thursday, February 5, 2015

Some miscellaneous icon updates

I decided to devote a post to some miscellaneous icons I've updated, some recent and some a few years ago now. Just to be clear, I didn't originally do most of these icons. They were either from the app directly (BePDF), from data/artwork/icons/ in the Haiku source tree, or from Zumi's icon collection. I simply cleaned them up or reworked most them. Credit should go to the original authors for their work.

First let's address the FontBoy icon. I noticed recently that work had resumed on FontBoy and wondered if they were going to use the new hvif icon I'd done for it back in 2012, and decided to check it out... only to notice that humdinger had redone another new hvif icon for it, apparently unaware I'd already done one. I polished mine up a little further and will offer it here. Maybe it's just me but I'm a little partial to mine. ;)

The original Be raster version is on top, then the current FontBoy icon by humdinger in the middle, and finally my FontBoy icon on the bottom.

For all the remaining icons on this page the original icon will be on the left side and my "fixed" version will be on the right side.

Next we have the TARDIS icon. This one was hanging out in the data/artwork/icons folder in the Haiku source tree, and I felt it could use a little polishing (right side windows, light beams, highlights, and shadow).

Then we have the BePDF bee icon that needs to have the Adobe PDF logo removed from it. This one might be able to use a little tweaking to the legs to make them more visible irrespective of the background color?

Next are the two USB icons from data/artwork/icons. They looked a little skewed to me, so I cleaned up the hvif files for them (removing unused shapes, paths, and styles) and added a bit of polishing to them as well. A little added shadowing, enlarged holes, and angle correction on the male connector, and tweaked the cords a bit. (Also made the USB logo match on both.)

Next is the Hand icon. For this one I did quite a bit of cleaning up "under the hood" so to speak. The border around the hand for example had been created as a separate path/shape rather than as a stroke on the existing path around the hand. There were also quite a lot of extra points in the path. So I cleaned a bunch of that up and reduced the file size by over 20%, then used that freed up room to add in a bit of "shine" on the wrist and thumb to make it more like the original again.

Then I took the Coretex app icon and added it to the hand (merging the shadow, and removing the shapes and path data under the Coretex icon to reduce file size) to create a CoretexAddOnHost icon to replace the old Be raster icon still in use by the system. I'm not sure if this is the correct icon to use for this? I need to find out if this works, or if I need to create a version that matches the raster one... one of the devs will need to enlighten me on this one.

Finally we have some icons from Zumi's great icon collection.

First are some GTalk icons. These I barely tweaked. Just changed the large G to be a little more solid and similar to the official Google logo, made it not overlap the balloon, and then tweaked yellow to make it a bit more visible and fixed the bottom right borders of the balloons where they got a bit too thin.

And last, but not least, I wanted to make Zumi's frogs actually look like frogs, so I redid the original 2 icons to be more frog-like, and then added yet another color variation to match the blue poison dart frog that used to be used a few years ago as the logo for the Java based bittorrent client called Azureus. The company changed its name and that of its software platform in part in 2006, then more fully in 2008 (although the client engine apparently still retains the name), and the logo is now simply a monochrome frog silhouette rather than the more specific blue poison dart frog it used to be.

1 comment: